Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Potty Training

With baby #2 on the way and Zoey's age, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and start the dreaded potty training. I took Monday and Wednesday off work last week so that, with the weekend, I had 6 days to work with her before I had to leave her with someone. 
Brad's cousin Lisa said she had potty trained her 23month old son in 3 days using the 3 Day Potty Training ebook by Lora Jensen. I read the book and liked the way she went about potty training so I thought I would give it a try.
We started on Saturday and had 9 accidents! 
She's been waking up from nap so I decided to let her nap without a diaper/pull-up on. The book said to let them nap and sleep over night with just panties on. I laughed at that! No thanks, I like to sleep, not up every few hours to change sheets!
 This is how we all felt Saturday night! I don't remember how many times she actually went to the potty that day, but, we did have a few successes.
Sunday morning we stayed home from church to continue working with her. After having an accident first thing, it clicked and she continued to go in the potty all day! We also used M&M's and stickers as rewards so I think that helped in the process.
Monday I got really brave, since Brad is gone from sunup to way past sun down, I decided to brave the outside world and meet him for lunch...
I got dog training pads to put in her car seat in case she had an accident in the car. 
She did wonderfully! We were gone for about 2 hours and didn't have an accident!
 Sunday we went to Sweet Frog as a reward for being such a big girl all week!
Today was the first day that we went all day without a single accident! I am so proud of how well she has done and glad to put this behind us. She may not be 100% "potty trained" and we still struggle but no more diapers in the Killough house...for a few months at least!

3 comments:

Josh and Shan said...

Is your bank account wondering what's wrong??

Kati said...

Yay! I know the huge sigh of relief that comes once they start to get it. Not buying diapers (and having to take them everywhere) is amazing!

Amanda said...

Way to go Zoey! And Mom and Dad! It's a full family effort!